Guilt-free banana bread? YES PLEASE! This buckwheat flour banana bread with dates, is delicious & super moist, easy to make and full of healthy ingredients.
Meet the nourishing banana bread
If you are like me, you love enjoying a thick slice of banana bread, toasted, with a bit of coconut butter on top, and dipped in a glass of your favourite milk or coffee. YUMMY!
I’ve been on a mission to come up with the perfect healthy version recipe to share with you! I am confident this buckwheat flour banana bread with dates is the one!
This buckwheat banana bread is sweetened with dates!
This recipe uses dates instead of sugar or honey. Dates are rich in nutrients, fiber and antioxidants, plus they are delicious and cheap. You can read more about their health benefits here!
NOTE: I use pitted dates, not Mejdool dates, purely because they’re a lot cheaper! I buy the dates in bulk for only $4.99 per kg.
Notes for this recipe
Buy some of the ingredients on your bulk foods store and go plastic-free
Healthy food and healthy planet! Contribute to reducing waste by buying some of the ingredients in bulk without using plastic.
Ripe bananas are best
If you've tried my low carb banana chocolate muffins or my blueberry banana coconut muffins you know that I love baking with bananas! When baking with bananas the riper the bananas are, the better. They will be sweeter and bring more flavour to the recipe!
Soak the dates
Dates tend to be a bit dry, so I like to soak them to make them more juicy and soft. I highly recommend not skipping this step 😊
Walnuts and raisins
I love this buckwheat banana bread with crunchy walnuts and raisins, but you can substitute these for other ingredients (like chocolate chips) or omit them at all. It will still be delish!
LOVE THIS RECIPE? LET’S STAY CONNECTED!
If you like this recipe please leave me a comment below, share it on Pinterest, tag me on Instagram, and follow me on socials! Instagram @bitesinthewild and Pinterest @bitesinthewild. This way you can stay up-to-date with my latest recipes and tips!Print
This buckwheat flour banana bread with dates, is delicious & super moist, easy to make and full of healthy ingredients. Get ready to satisfy your banana bread cravings with this super simple and healthy recipe.
3 ripe bananas + 1 for decoration on top
2 organic eggs
1 cup of pitted dates
½ cup plant milk (I normally use almond or coconut milk)
⅓ cup coconut oil
2 cups buckwheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 ½ tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp vanilla essence
½ cup raisins
½ cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Put the plant milk and coconut oil in a small bowl and put in the microwave for 1 minute until warm
- Soak the dates in the mixture for 10-15 minutes
- Put all the ingredients except the raisins and walnuts in the food processor and pulse until it forms a consistent batter. Remove the lid and add the raisins and walnuts. Transfer the batter to a cake tin mould lined with baking paper
- Slice the remaining banana lengthwise, and put on top of the batter
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Serve toasted with your favourite toppings on top. I love a bit of coconut butter and honey!
- Store for up to 5 days at room temperature
Keywords: buckwheat flour banana bread, gluten free buckwheat banana bread, gluten free banana bread, banana bread with dates, healthy buckwheat banana bread, dairy free buckwheat banana bread, moist buckwheat banana bread, banana bread recipe with walnuts and raisins