This classic prawn cocktail salad is a super quick & easy dish that is always a hit. Perfect for a starter or a light main, when you want to impress! Gluten-free, dairy-free & low carb.
Marie Rose sauce
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise (look for one made with olive oil)
- 2,5 tsp of ketchup
- 1/2 tsp of Worcestershire sauce (GF)
- 1/2 tbsp of cognac (optional but great addition) - see notes
- 5 drops of spicy sauce
- 15 cooked large prawns
- 3/4 cup of mango diced
- 1 mini romaine lettuce head
- Whisk all the sauce ingredients in a bowl. Adjust the amount of spicy sauce to suit your taste.
- Prepare the salad ingredients: chop the lettuce, dice the mango, and cut each prawn in 3-4 pieces (see notes).
In a large mixing bowl, combine the marie rose sauce with the prawns and the mango. Don't mix with the lettuce!
In a coupe-style cocktail glass, lay a bed of lettuce and add the prawn & mango mixture on top.
Optional to add some chopped parsley on top to decorate.
- The cognac adds a very distinctive flavour. You can start by adding 1/4 tbsp first, taste the sauce, and add the other half if desired.
- Cut the prawns in big-ish chunks. You want the prawn to be the main ingredient in each spoonful.
- When you're mixing the prawns & mango with the sauce, it might look like it's a lot. But bear in mind it will be combined with the lettuce directly on the glass when eating.
- This prawn cocktail salad can be served as a canape in a small lettuce leaf, instead of in a cocktail glass! If you're going for this option, mix the prawns, mango & lettuce with the sauce. And then put on top of a small leaf. You can present all the little leaves on a platter or timber board.
Keywords: prawn cocktail salad, classic prawn cocktail, prawn cocktail recipe, how to make prawn cocktail, prawn cocktail sauce