Learn how to make this delicious and creamy avocado roll. This homemade vegan sushi roll it is healthy and super easy to prepare, plus much cheaper than in restaurants! With step-by-step detailed instructions and photos, you'll master how to make your sushi at home!
1 cup of sushi rice
3 tbsp of rice vinegar
2 tbsp of cane sugar or erythritol
1 firm avocado - cut into thick slices
4 nori sheets - trim approx. 3 fingers off
Black sesame seeds
Make the sushi rice
- Add the rice to a medium/large bowl with water. Stir the rice in the water with your hands, and drain the water. Repeat this process until the water comes out clear (approx. 3 times), and drain again.
- Add the rice and water to a medium saucepan, and cover with a lid. Follow the cooking time instructions on the rice package.
- Transfer the rice to a bowl and add the rice vinegar and sugar of choice. Combine well with a spoon and let it cool at room temperature.
Lay out the avocado sushi rolls
- Prepare a small bowl of water to wet your hands.
- Lay the bamboo mat on a flat surface, and put a sheet of nori on top. The shiny side should be facing the mat, so it ends up outside when you make the rolls.
- Wet your hands (to prevent sticking) and grab a handful of seasoned sushi rice. Spread the rice evenly on top of the rough side of the nori sheet, leaving the end empty (see photo). Press the rice down a bit, but don't squish it.
- Line up slices of avocado in the center of the rice. Slightly wet the empty part of the nori sheet and roll.
Roll it up and slice!
- Using the bamboo sushi mat, start rolling the sushi away from you applying gentle pressure to create a tight roll. You want to roll it as tight as possible.
- Wet a sharp knife (to avoid sticking and get clean cuts), and cut into individual bite-size pieces. You should get between 7-8 avocado maki. Sprinkle black sesame seeds on top to decorate.
Make an inside-out roll (optional)
- Cover the bamboo mat with compostable plastic wrap. Lay the nori seaweed sheet on top, and spread the rice evenly (same process as above).
- Flip over (the rice is now facing the plastic wrap/bamboo mat). Line avocado slices on top of the nori and roll.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds on the benchtop or cutting board. Roll the sushi roll so the sesame seeds stick to the rice.
- Cut the makis following the instructions above.
- Cooking time for the rice: Usually it's about 10 minutes simmering and 10 minutes off the heat. I always recommend checking the after turning off the heat, as sometimes it cooks quicker. You don't want to end up with mushy rice!
- Serve with tamari (GF) or soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
- These vegan sushi rolls are ideal for meal prep! Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days.
- Leftover sushi rice can also be stored in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
Keywords: avocado roll, avocado sushi roll, avocado maki, easy avocado roll, avocado roll recipe