This healthy chocolate coconut slice is incredibly moist, tasty, and easy to make! Made with two chocolate layers, it is going to become one of your favourite treats! Only takes 15 minutes to prepare + it's gluten-free & dairy-free.
1 cup of pitted dates
1/3 cup of coconut oil melted
2 large organic eggs / 3 small
1/2 cup of shredded coconut
1/4 cup of coconut flour
1/4 cup of raw cacao
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla essence
Chocolate cream topping
1/4 cup of thick coconut cream
3 tbsp of raw cacao
1 tbsp of honey
Make the chocolate coconut base
- Preheat the oven in top & bottom baking mode at 180 degree Celsius.
- Using a food processor or food chopper, chop the dates along with the coconut oil, until the dates are finely chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the chopped dates & coconut oil, and combine well. Stir the rest of the base ingredients and combine. The batter should be very thick and dark.
- Add baking paper to a 20cm x 20cm tray, and transfer the batter to it. Spread evenly using a rubber spatula, and bake for 15 minutes. It should feel very moist & chewy when you get it out!!
Make the chocolate cream
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl, until very smooth. Taste to make sure you're happy with the sweetness and amount of cacao, and adjust if necessary.
Top up with the chocolate cream
- If you want this chocolate coconut slice extra moist: While the base is still hot, add half of the chocolate cream on top, and spread evenly using a rubber spatula. The base will absorb most of the chocolate cream. Let it cool completely, and then spread evenly the other half of the chocolate cream. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top, and cut in squares! Store in the fridge and eat cold.
- If you want the slice normal moist: Let the base cool down completely. Add the chocolate cream topping and spread evenly using a rubber spatula. Sprinkle some shredded coconut on top, and cut in squares! Store in the fridge and eat cold.
Due to the coconut cream, this chocolate coconut slice must be stored in the fridge for up to 5-7 days. I also find it has a better texture when eaten cold.
I highly recommend using a brand new coconut cream to make this slice, to make it last for longer.
It's super important to not over-bake the base! Otherwise it will end up too dry. Bake in baking mode top & bottom, I do not recommend using the fan mode!
A thick canned coconut cream is a must, otherwise the chocolate cream will be too runny.
Keywords: chocolate coconut slice, easy chocolate coconut slice, healthy chocolate coconut slice, gluten-free chocolate coconut slice