This healthy carrot cake with coconut flour and coconut cashew frosting, is incredibly moist, tasty, and easy to make! Naturally grain-free, gluten-free and dairy-free.
1 cup of pitted dates
1/3 cup of coconut oil melted
3 large organic eggs
1/3 cup of coconut flour
1 cup of packed carrot finely grated
1 tbsp of baking powder
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 cup of walnuts (measured before crushing)
1/4 cup of raisins
Cashew coconut cream frosting
1/3 cup of thick coconut cream
3 tbsp of cashew butter
1 tbsp of honey
1/8 tsp of vanilla essence
1/4 cup of walnuts (measured before crushing)
- Preheat the oven in top & bottom baking mode at 180 degree Celsius.
- Using a food processor or food chopper, chop the dates along with the coconut oil, until the dates are finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Using a whisk, combine with the eggs until you get a homogenous mixture (this can take a bit of arm work!).
- Add the baking powder, coconut flour, grated carrot, cinnamon and vanilla, and mix well to combine. Crush the walnuts with the hands, and add to the mixture along with the raisins. Combine using a spatula.
- Transfer the mixture to a 25cm x 15cm baking tray lined with baking paper, and spread evenly. Bake in the oven for 17-20 minutes. It should feel really soft, when you get it out of the oven.
- While the base is baking, prepare the frosting. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, and combine well. Adjust quantities as desired. Bear in mind that once the cake is in the fridge, the frosting will become harder (don't overdo the cashew butter).
- Add the cashew coconut frosting to the base, and spread evenly using a spatula. Add some crushed walnuts on top, cut in squares, and let it cool in the fridge.
Tip: it’s super important to not overbake the base! Otherwise it will end up dry. It should almost feel a bit raw when you get it out of the oven.
Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5-7 days.
Keywords: carrot cake with coconut flour, coconut flour carrot cake, coconut carrot cake, gluten free carrot cake